Edward Stanford (1827 - 1904) was a map maker and seller prominent in the late 19th century. Founder of what is now Stanford's Ltd, a world renowned map company that is still producing and selling maps to this day. Stanford was educated at the City of London School, establishing his map business in 1853. Chief cartographer John Bolton helped Stanford to produce a series of library maps - including this one of London - described as "the most perfect map of London that has ever been produced" by the Royal Geographical Society.
A large scale, highly decorative, and highly detailed, map of London, green spaces and railways are also clearly illustrated. First published in 1862, and frequently updated as London rapidly expanded, this edition is from 1878. Extending from Hammersmith in the west, to Greenwich in the east, and from Highgate in the north, to Balham in the south.