Ref: Cary004, 1787, John Cary
Please hover to zoom in
An antique county map of Surrey first published c.1787, republished 2018. John Cary (1754 - 1835) was an English cartographer, engraver and map seller prominent in London during the late 18th century and early 19th century. Originally produced using copper plates, and fine engraving, Cary's maps are highly detailed and easily readable. Villages, towns, and cities labelled include Chertsey, Clapham, Kingston, Croydon, Guilford, Godalming, Haslemere, and Farnham.
Surrey is an inland county, which gives the title Earl to the family of Howard. During the Saxon heptarchy it belonges to the South Saxons; now it is in the province of Cantebury, the diocese of Winchester, and is included in the Home circuit. It contains 499,200 square acres, or 780 sqaure miles, being39 miles long, 26 broad, and 146 in circuit; is divded into 14 hundreds, having 140 parishes, 35 viacrages, near 600 villages, and 11 market towns, viz. Guiford, the countytown which sends 2 members to parliament, and gives the title of Earl to the family of North, Kingston; Southwark, which sends to members to parliament; as does Haslemere; Ryegate, which gives the title of Baron to the Mordaunt family, and Bletchingly, each 2 members; Croydon; Epsom; Chertsey; Darking; Ewell; Farnham; Godalming; Egham; and the reduced town of Gatton, though it retains the priviledge of sending 2 members to parliament, has now neither market of fair. The village of Battersea gives the title of Baron to the family of St.John; Compton, the title of Baron to the families of both Ferrers and Compton; Effingham, the title of Earl to the family of Howard; Streatham, the title of Baron to the family of Ruffel; Petersham, the title of Baron to the Stanhope family; and Cranley, the title of Baron to the Onflow family. It is almost square in its form, having the rivers Thames, Wandel, Mole, Wey and Loddon; producing rich pasture, sheep, corn, hops, fruit, wood, game, fowls, river fish, abundance fo every kind of garden-stuff, and a great variety of extensive manufactures of glass, iron, etc. The S.E and N.W. parts have an abundance of uncultivates grounds; but the other parts are remarkably fertile, and its air particularly wholesome and pleasant; which formerly induced several of our Kings to erect palaces in it for their residences. It sends 14 members to parliament, pays 18 parts of the land-tax, and supplies 800 men to the national militia; and, for it's extent, has more gentlemens' villas than any other county in the kingdom.