Ref: Cary016, 1787, John Cary
Please hover to zoom in
An antique county map of Middlesex first published c.1787, republished 2018. John Cary (1754 - 1835) was an English cartographer, engraver and map seller prominent in London during the late 18th century and early 19th century. Originally produced using copper plates, and fine engraving, Cary's maps are highly detailed and easily readable. Villages, towns, and cities labelled include Colnbrook, Hampton, Teddington, Staines, Hampstead, Paddington, and Enfield.
Middlesex is situated near the centre of the principal part of the kingdom, gives the title of Earl to the family of Sackville, an, during the Saxon heptarchy, belonged to the kingdom of East Saxons; is now in the province of Canterbury, and diocese of London. It contains 240 square miles, or 217,600 sqaure acres; is 23 miles long, about 14 broad, and nearly 115 miles in circuit; is divided into 6 hundreds an 2 liberties; has nearly 200 parishes, besides those in London and Westminster; with 41 vicarages; 2 cities, London and Westminster, the former metropolis (to enumerate whose particulars, as to buildings and manufactures, would fill a volume) the latter the residence of the King and his court, the courts of justice, nobility; it has 7 market towns, viz. Uxbridge, which gives the title of Earl to the family of Paget; Brentford the county town, where are chosen the members for the county; Barnet, Staines, Edgeworth, and Houslow; with a considerable number of villages, many of which are larger than some market towns. It sends but 8 members to parliament, 4 London, 2 Westminster, 2 for thecounty. It is one of the smallest counties in the kingdom for extent, yet, on account of London, it pays 80 parts out of 513 of the land-tax. It provides 1600 men to the national militia, besides the Trainbands and Artillery Company of the city of London. It's prinicpal rivers are the Thames (whose tide flows above 70 miles from it's mouth; and so extensive a trade is by it carried on, that in some years there have arrived 10,000 British and Foreign vessels) the Lea, the Coln, the Brent, and the New River, with whose water the greatest part of London, are constantly supplied. The only navigable canal in this county is from Limehouse to the river Lea at Bromley. From London-Stone, in Cannon-Street, all the Roman roads took thier center, and proceeded to the extremities of the kingdom in every direction. The principal natural product of this county is the best of all vegetables and eatables of every kind; but the production of artists and manusfactures exceed comprehension. There aee mineral waters at Hampstead, Islington, Barnet, Kilbourne, Bagnigge, and Acton.