Ref: Cary001, 1787, John Cary
Please hover to zoom in
An antique county map of Cambridgeshire first published c.1787, republished 2018. John Cary (1754 - 1835) was an English cartographer, engraver and map seller prominent in London during the late 18th century and early 19th century. Originally produced using copper plates, and fine engraving, Cary's maps are highly detailed and easily readable. Villages, towns, and cities labelled include Wisbeach, Peterborough, Ely, Cambridge, and Roystone.
Cambridgeshire is an inland county, which, during the heptarchy, belonged to the kingdom of the East-Angles. It is now the province of Cantebury diocese of Ely, except a small part of the diocese of Norwich, and it is included in the Norfolk circuit. It is 44 miles long, 26 broad, and 160 in circumference; contaning 428,800 square acres, or 670 square miles; divided into 17 hundreds, 163 parishes, 83 vicarages, 279 villages, one city, viz. Ely, which is a bishoprick, whose bishop is a prince palatine within its district, and appoints a judge to try all criminal cases; one university viz. Cambrisge, the second in the kingdom, founded in 531, consisting of 12 colleges and 4 halls, and containing about 1500 students, and sends two members to parliament, and gives the titles of Duke to the Royal family; Royston, which gives the title of Viscount to the Yorke family, enjoys a market; as does Linton, Wisbeach, Caxton, Mersh, Thorney, Soham; and Newmarket, remarkable for it's horse races, is part in this county. The rivers are the Oufe, Cam, Welney, and Nene. The most remarkable places are, Balsham and Gogmagog Hills, Newmarket-heath, Soham and Streatham Meers; Royston Cave, the Devil's Ditch, Sturbridge Field. The Isle of Ely is an inland spot, surrounded by the Oufe and other streams, and is the Northern division of the county, consisting of a spaciaous level, containing 300,000 acres of land, extending in to the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Hungtindonshire, and Lincolnshire, divided by innumerable channels and drains. The whole-level, of which this is a part, forms a rude kind of femicircle resembling a horse-shoe. The isle air is damp, foul, and unwholesome; but in the south east parts of this county it is more pure and falubrious. The soil is very different; in the Isle of Ely it is fenny and spongy, yet affords excellent pasture; in the Uplands it is fruitful in grain. It's chief products are cattle, saffron, game, poultry, and river fish; and they make great quantities of malt. It sends 6 members to parliament, 2 for the county; pays 9 parts of the land-tax; and provides 480 men to the national militia. - as published c.1787