Ref: Smiths026, 1800, Charles Smith
Please hover to zoom in
Charles Smith was a cartographer working in London from circa 1800. His maps were finely engraved on copper and featured beautiful hand colouring. The county maps were initially issued as single sheets for travelers from 1800. These were generally laid down on cloth to prolong what would for them be a hard and generally quite a short life on the road. In 1804 they were published as an atlas, Smith's New English Atlas.
The maps are large and contain information required by a traveler of the time. All the principal turnpike roads are shown with distances from town to town. The local administrative divisions, such as the hundreds, are indicated by different colours. The hundred was of Saxon origin and was an area of approximately 100 households. As its head was an Elderman who was held responsible for supplying fully equipped men for the King in times of war and for the administration of justice. The hundred court was where justice was administered and by the 13th century they were held 12 times a year in a meeting place in the principal town. Local issues were also discussed here and decisions made, the town usually giving its name to the hundred.
All prices include VAT and Free UK Shipping.
We make our own frames from moulding hand finished in our workshops. The standard finish is a distressed black with a gold slip inserted for the larger maps.
We finish the moulding in two other colours, Antique Red and Antique Green. These colours can be used on any of our prints or maps, both reproductions and originals, but have been chosen specifically to suit some of the antique prints and illustrations.
Some of the maps are very big so for weight, shipping and safety reasons we use 3mm acrylic as the glazing material.