Ref: Ire020, 1884, George, Phillip & Son
Please hover to zoom in
George Phillip (1800 - 1882) was a cartographer and map publisher during the nineteenth century. Born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, he founded his business in Liverpool, producing maps and educational books. His son, George II, joined the business in 1848 and they moved to London in 1856, trading under the name George Phillip & Son.
Originally producing maps from copper plates which were hand coloured (usually by women), they progressed to producing machine coloured maps on a power-driven lithographic press by the latter half of the nineteenth century. They published maps from various cartographers including J.Bartholomew.