Ref: Ire008, 1884, George, Phillip & Son
Please hover to zoom in
George Phillip (1800 - 1882) was a cartographer and map publisher during the nineteenth century. Born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, he founded his business in Liverpool, producing maps and educational books. His son, George II, joined the business in 1848 and they moved to London in 1856, trading under the name George Phillip & Son.
Originally producing maps from copper plates which were hand coloured (usually by women), they progressed to producing machine coloured maps on a power-driven lithographic press by the latter half of the nineteenth century. They published maps from various cartographers including J.Bartholomew.
All prices include VAT and Free UK Shipping.
We make our own frames from moulding hand finished in our workshops. The standard finish is a distressed black with a gold slip inserted for the larger maps.
We finish the moulding in two other colours, Antique Red and Antique Green. These colours can be used on any of our prints or maps, both reproductions and originals, but have been chosen specifically to suit some of the antique prints and illustrations.
Some of the maps are very big so for weight, shipping and safety reasons we use 3mm acrylic as the glazing material.